Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Interview (follow-up) - Andy Peloquin


Greetings!
 
           Today we welcome back an author I had previously interviewed; the self-proclaimed Lover of All Things Dark and Mysterious, Andy Peloquin.






Link to previous interview:


Andy has been very busy with his new series lately, and is getting ready to release his second book; The Last Bucelarii: Lament of the Fallen. We hadn’t spoken much in the months following our interview, so I was happy to hear from Andy and what he has been up to. I saw this as an opportunity to do my first ever follow-up interview, and Andy was more than happy to participate and share his experience with us.


What have you been working on lately?

A whole gods-darned lot! Since our last interview (late 2015), I've:
* Finished Book 2 in my The Last Bucelarii series, submitted it to the publisher, and have published it! (August 19th)
* Finished Book 3 in the same series and submitted it for publishing (hopefully early 2017).
* Written the first draft of the Book 4 and gotten back alpha reader notes. Work begins as soon as the Book 2 launch is over.
* Completed a 120,000-word grimdark fantasy novel and begun shopping it around to agents.
* Had a short story accepted into an upcoming anthology.
That's not to mention all the smaller secret side projects I can't tell you about. It's been one heck of a crazy year, and I've loved every minute of it.


Has everything gone according to the way you had planned? (If not, why and how did you manage the situation?)

I'd have to say there was a smidgen of disappointment when The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer didn't quite make it to the #1 spot in the dark fantasy category last year. Authors always hope to get their work into best-seller spot, so it's hard to see the book come so close (#9, and #3 in Top New Releases) and not quite make it. But that's part of the publishing game, right? You try your best, enjoy your successes, and smile through your disappointments. It doesn't just take a thick skin to be an author--you've also got to know how to keep soldiering on through letdown.


Did the results of your work meet your expectations? (If so, how? If not, why?)

I'd have to say I'm beyond thrilled by the feedback and reviews I've received. Out of 75 reviews on Amazon, 95% are very positive. The book has a 4.6 star rating (out of 5), and even the few 3-star ratings I've received have been due to simple mistakes or people simply finding it too gory or gruesome for their tastes. There were no big flaws or errors. For that, I'm incredibly delighted.
But more than that, I've found that most people who read about the Hunter find themselves drawn to the character. There's something innately human and relatable about the flawed character, something that people love. Instead of seeing a shiny hero with a heart of gold, they're reading about a cynical, ruthless criminal who has just enough humanity to make him both intriguing and empathetic. They love him, and for me, that's worth more than gold! (Almost…)


Looking back, is there anything you would have done differently, and why?

Honestly, I can't say I'd do anything different. I was incredibly pleased with the completion of both Books 1 and 2 in the series, and I'm loving where the Hunter's story is progressing (through Books 3 and 4, and eventually through Book 6). I can't wait to bring readers on the twisting, terrifying journey the Hunter will go through to finally come to terms with who--and what--he is.


Given your recent experiences, do you have any new advice for other writers?

Don't give up! Writing and being an author is an incredibly difficult career, one with very limited chances for success. You have a better chance of being elected CEO than you do of becoming a successful writer. But so what? If you can tell your stories and share pieces of yourself with others, isn't that worth it? I know it is for me!


            I couldn’t agree more. Money was never the main reason why I decided to start writing a few years ago (though it wouldn’t hurt, lol) but rather the idea of leaving a part of myself out there. The idea of something I created enduring even after I’m gone is what finally motivated me to get started on my book.


For those who are interested, Andy was kind enough send me all the details about his upcoming book. Here is the information on the book, and where to purchase it:


Book Info:
Title: The Last Bucelarii (Book 2): Lament of the Fallen




Author: Andy Peloquin
Official Launch Date: August 19th, 2016
Publication Date: July 21, 2016
Paperback Price: 15.99
Digital Price: 3.99
Pages: 340
ISBN: 1535388668


Tagline/Elevator Pitch:
A faceless, nameless assassin. A forgotten past.  The Hunter of Voramis--a killer devoid of morals, or something else altogether? (The Last Bucelarii--dark fantasy with a look at the underside of human nature)


Book Blurb:
The Last Bucelarii (Book 2): Lament of the Fallen
The Hunter of Voramis is no more.
Alone with the bloodthirsty voices in his head, fleeing the pain of loss, he has one objective: travel north to find Her, the mystery woman who plagues his dreams and haunts his memories.
When he stumbles upon a bandit attack, something within urges him to help. His actions set him at odds with the warrior priests commanded to hunt down the Bucelarii.
Left for dead, the Hunter must travel to Malandria to recover his stolen birthright. There, he is inexorably drawn into direct conflict with the Order of Midas, the faceless, nameless group of magicians that holds the city in a grip of terror. All while struggling to silence the ever-louder voice in his mind that drives him to kill.
From feared assassin to wretched outcast, the Hunter's journey leads him to truths about his forgotten past and the Abiarazi he has pledged to hunt. His discoveries will shed light on who he really is…what he really is.
Fans of Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, and Brent Weeks will love the Hunter…


Buy Links:


           Seeing a fellow writer progress is truly inspiring. It reminds the rest of us that, though the road to success is not easy, it is still possible. I would like to thank Andy for sharing his experience with us, and to wish him the best of luck on his new release and on his upcoming books. Keep in touch!


Until Next time,

Cheers,

           Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment